N. Korean envoy vows stronger 'self
简介North Korea's ambassador to the United Nations said Tuesday his country is "urgently" required ...
North Korea's ambassador to the United Nations said Tuesday his country is "urgently" required to bolster its self-defense capabilities, claiming the Korean Peninsula faces the "immediate danger of nuclear war breakout."
Addressing the UN General Assembly in New York, Ambassador Kim Song attributed the "current dangerous situation" to South Korea and the United States, lambasting a series of steps that the allies have taken to bolster deterrence against evolving North Korean threats.
"Given the prevailing circumstances, the DPRK is urgently required to further accelerate the build-up of its self-defense capabilities to defend itself impregnably," the ambassador said during his live-streamed speech. DPRK stands for the North's official name, the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.
"It is only too natural that the more the reckless military moves and provocations of the hostile forces are intensified …, the more our endeavors to enhance national defense capabilities would increase in direct proportion," he added.
Kim catalogued a series of defensive exercises between the US and South Korea namely the annual Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise, the launch of the Nuclear Consultative Group and repeated verbal warnings against the North's potential use of nuclear arms.
"From the beginning of the year, the US and the 'Republic of Korea' made hysterical remarks of confrontation such as 'end of the regime; and 'occupation of Pyongyang' in flagrant violation of the principles and purposes of the UN Charter," he said.
Calling South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol only by his name, Kim criticized Yoon's warning at the UN General Assembly that any arms deal between Russia and North Korea would be considered a "direct provocation" against South Korea.
"Development of equal and reciprocal relations between and among independent sovereign states is not an issue for the "ROK" to interfere in as it is no more than a colony of the US," Kim said.
He described the Yoon administration as a "puppet" government, accusing it of raising tensions.
"The Korean Peninsula is in a hair-trigger situation with imminent danger of nuclear war breakout," he said.
Kim Sang-jin, South Korea's deputy permanent representative to the UN, hit back, chastising the North for making "groundless, illogical and absurd" allegations.
"Do you really believe as the DPRK claims the Republic of Korea, together with the US, conspires to provoke a nuclear war on the Korean Peninsula without reasons that will cause catastrophic casualties?," he asked. "How many member states in this chamber are seriously aligned with the DPRK's false assertions? My answer is clear: untrue, absolutely incorrect," he said. (Yonhap)
A 2021 court ruling that had ordered the South Korean government and two civil servants to compensat ...
Pernod Ricard’s Royal Salute 21-Year-Old Richard Quinn Edition 2 has recently made its world debut i ...
D.O. of EXO is leaving SM Entertainment after his exclusive contract with the agency expires next mo ...
- LTI Korea announces winners of 2023 Korea Translation Award
- KTO to offer weekend railroad travel packages through February
- [Herald Interview] New Royal Salute makes grand debut to tap deeper into Korean whiskey market
- 尹 대통령 "국립대병원 중추로 육성" 의료인력 확충 필요성 강조
- Seoul shares edge down amid US slowdown woes; won sharply down
- Hanmi Global to host forum on data center construction
Drug offences rise by nearly 50 percent on
Cha Medical to hold global forum on next
Seoul shares open sharply lower on US losses
[Herald Interview] New Royal Salute makes grand debut to tap deeper into Korean whiskey market
Auditor says Moon govt distorted 2020 death of fisheries official
SK chairman says agile responses needed in times of geopolitical strife
- [Today’s K
- Book records testimonies of bereaved families, survivors of Itaewon tragedy
- 이재명, 여·야·정 3자 회동 제안…"바지사장 아닌 尹 직접 나서야"
- Braving wind and high water to celebrate Dokdo Day
- SK Signet delivers W5b ultrafast EV chargers to Revel
- Eximbank holds workshop on development financing
- Business sentiment falls in S. Korea over Middle East tensions: poll
- AI Auction debuts tax consultant chatbot
- [사진] 빈 살만 운전 자청, 윤 대통령 동행
- 美연구소 "北, 러에 보낸 포탄은 50만 발…한 달 사용 분량"
- HiteJinro soju seeks bigger footing in UK
- Cheong Wa Dae to open for winter night stroll event
- Seoul shares close more than 1% higher on extended Israel
- S. Korea's Busan making last
- Seoul anticipates 3
- Hyundai Motor bolsters global partnerships through Expo campaign
- 정부, GP 복원 계획…김태효 "北 무장에 가만히 있으면 안된다"
- S. Korea's heavyweights like ex
- [Herald Review] ‘Single in Seoul’ a bland rom
- YouTuber suspected of livestreaming after taking drugs
- Hanwha Ocean developing submarine stealth technology
- Music industry seeks solution to ticket scalping through public discussion
- German envoy calls for enhanced security cooperation with S. Korea
- Jeju's autonomy is model for Western Sahara: Morocco
- Labor unions slam government efforts to attract more foreign workers
- Seoul shares start lower ahead of key rate decision
- S. Korea's English proficiency slips 13 notches to 49th
- Hyundai’s ‘Uni Wheel’ system gives more room for different car designs
- LG Electronics CEO to present AI vision at CES
- BTS gets 6th top honor at 2023 MAMA Awards