Prosecutors seek 5
简介The prosecution on Friday demanded five years in prison for Samsung Electronics Chairman Lee Jae-yon ...
The prosecution on Friday demanded five years in prison for Samsung Electronics Chairman Lee Jae-yong on charges of stock price rigging and accounting fraud connected to the controversial 2015 merger of two Samsung affiliates.
Prosecutors also requested a fine of 500 million won ($387,000) for Lee during the final hearing at the Seoul Central District Court.
Lee is charged with stock price rigging, breach of duty and accounting fraud in the course of the controversial 2015 merger of two Samsung affiliates, Cheil Industries and Samsung C&T Corp. The trial began in September 2020.
For seeking the prison term, the prosecution cited how Lee denied all charges leveled against him when he was the chief decision-maker, and how benefited from the process.
The prosecution argues that Lee and company executives planned and executed a series of illegal steps in the process of merging the group's construction and fashion companies. The prosecutors allege the illegal processes allowed Lee to increase his control over the conglomerate.
Two senior Samsung executives, including Choi Gee-sung, a former head of Samsung's now-disbanded control tower Future Strategy Office, have also been charged. Prosecutors have asked them to be given prison sentences of 4 1/2 years and a 500 million won fine for related charges.
A ruling is expected in early 2024 at the earliest.
경기 과천 중앙선거관리위원회의 모습. 뉴스1내년 4·10총선 출마 예정인 지역구 예비후보자 등록이 12일부터 시작된다.중앙선거관리위원회는 선거일 120일 전인 12일부터 제22대 ...
윤재옥 국회 운영위원장이 17일 오전 서울 여의도 국회에서 열린 운영위원회 전체회의에서 의사봉을 두드리고 있다. 뉴스1여야가 내년도 국회 운영 예산안 심의에서 의정활동 개선을 위한 ...
Nakwon Tteok House, a rice cake store in Nakwon-dong in Jongno-gu, central Seoul, traces its roots b ...
- Korean attorney elected as new ICC judge
- [Korea Beyond Korea] In Sao Paulo, horizons expand for Korean studies
- [Herald Review] NCT 127 takes inspiration from ‘Matrix’ for 3rd tour
- NTCK to celebrate 100th Seoul performance of ‘The Orphan of Zhao’
- Yoon visits Busan after failed World Expo bid
- Zepeto metaverse plans to support Apple Vision Pro
송영길엔 선 그은 이준석 "이낙연 싫어할 이유 없다, 긍정적"
Govt. working to restore administrative network after major disruption
Fifty Fifty's Keena marks group's 1st anniversary with apology
Fire breaks out at SK On's plant during pilot run in China
LG Display to cut jobs in cost
[Korea Beyond Korea] In Sao Paulo, horizons expand for Korean studies
- 尹 “국민, 안보 믿음 가졌을 것”…4000명 장병 동원 행진 주관
- Yoon plans state visits to UK, Netherlands later this year
- [Herald Review] ‘Carmen’ redefines iconic femme fatale as stalking victim
- Young swimmer enjoys self
- Ive kicks off first world tour, 'Show What I Have'
- Death toll from Afghan quakes rises to more than 2,000
- Film director Jung Byung
- Hyundai’s decadeslong support for archery pays off at Asian Games
- S. Korean ambassador says stronger Russia
- Opposition leader Lee attends arrest warrant hearing at Seoul court
- S. Korean diplomat discusses NK human rights with US envoy
- Yoon lauds rapid growth of Korean defense industry
- Reeling from election loss, ruling party picks new leader posts
- S. Korea set to open largest
- One Store attracts W20b from Krafton
- 오세훈, ‘TBS 폐지’ 묻자 “그런 일 생겨서는 안 돼”
- Another suspect of Tajik duo behind S. Korean money exchange robbery nabbed
- SC Bank Korea CEO nominated for fourth term
- Ruling party chief clings on after election loss
- Seoul subway workers vote for strike plan
- MBK chairman makes donation to promote Korean art at New York's Met
- FSC lays out plan to boost pet insurance enrollment
- Enjoying Halloween in Itaewon sparks debate online
- TvN Sports, CGV to screen Bundesliga’s first ‘Korean derby’
- Hamas weapons, tactics resemble those of NK: JCS
- 北, 日의 장거리미사일 조기 배치 추진에 “전쟁국가 일본 실체”
- [Contribution] Why hope matters in climate crisis
- HiteJinro to produce soju in Vietnam
- GOT7’s Youngjae to release 1st solo LP “Do It” next month
- Biden says Hamas must be eliminated, US officials warn war could escalate