Chinese beer imports plunge amid Tsingtao scandal
简介South Korea’s beer imports from China decreased by over 40 percent last month after a hygiene incide ...
South Korea’s beer imports from China decreased by over 40 percent last month after a hygiene incident at a Tsingtao brewery was revealed. Imports of Japanese beer products, on the other hand, increased by over 300 percent.
According to data from the Korea Customs Service on Thursday, Korea’s imports of Chinese beer reached 228.1 tons in October, down 42.6 percent on-year. The import value of Chinese beer products shipped to Korea during the same period came to $1.9 million, also down 37.7 percent.
“The drop seems to be mainly due to the video clip that showed a Tsingtao worker urinating into a tank,” an official from a local alcoholic beverage company said. “I would not be surprised if imports of Chinese beer dropped further in the future,” the official added.
In October, a video was posted on Chinese social media platforms that showed a man wearing a blue uniform climbing over the side of a high-walled tank and urinating within the tank, which was believed to contain raw ingredients for brewing beer at Tsingtao Brewery No. 3 in Qingdao, Shandong.
The video immediately went viral and Tsingtao beer faced a backlash from Korean consumers for unsanitary practices.
BK, the Korean company that imports Tsingtao beer to South Korea, then tried to allay fears among Korean consumers, by saying that the Tsingtao beer products imported to Korea were not produced at Tsingtao Brewery No. 3.
However, consumers’ fears regarding the overall hygiene conditions at Tsingtao’s plants caused them to stop consuming them.
“I stopped buying Tsingtao beer at convenience stores and ordering them at restaurants after acknowledging the issue,” said Lee, a 36-year-old man living in Gyeonggi Province. “In any case, I am no longer bothered since there are many other beer products,” he added.
As sales of Tsingtao beer continue to drop here, BK is currently offering voluntary retirement programs to all its employees.
While imports of Chinese beer have fallen significantly, imports of Japanese beer have soared.
According to the Korea Customs Service, imports of Japanese beer in October reached 7,243 tons, up 303 percent on-year. The value of the imports came to $6.1 million, increasing 377.4 percent on-year.
Backed by increased imports of Japanese beer, South Korea’s total imports of international beer products came to 18,753 tons, up 9.4 percent on-year. Their combined value too rose 23.6 percent to $17.3 million.
Chosun University said Thursday it was seeking to present an honorary bachelor's degree to Jeon ...
윤석열 대통령 부인 김건희 여사가 광주디자인비엔날레를 찾아 문화예술계 육성에 대한 의지를 밝혔다고 대통령실이 10일 전했다.김건희 여사가 10일 오후 광주광역시 북구 광주비엔날레 ...
The United States has decided to allow exports of its semiconductor manufacturing equipment to Samsu ...
- Actors, musicians unite for Hakchon Theater's closing act
- Performing Arts Market to link local artists to world
- Half of Loona restarts as quintet Loossemble
- Seoul shares open higher on US gains; Israel
- NYT picks Yoon as one of most stylish people of 2023
- [Korean History] 2002, when Korea soared through World Cup
Seoul shares open lower on US tech slide
Half of Loona restarts as quintet Loossemble
'No Japan?' Korea swings from extreme rejection to selective embrace
N.SSign to resume album promotion without Doha
Posco Future M to supply battery materials for LG
Performing Arts Market to link local artists to world
- Chinese beer imports plunge amid Tsingtao scandal
- Network error grinds government network to halt, restoration still in progress
- KB approves of Yang Jong
- Nightmare before Christmas: 'rape announcement' issued at Seoul billboard
- 한총리, 공공기관 전산망 마비에 “인력·장비 총동원 신속복구” 지시
- SK Telecom CEO shows confidence in AI
- Team carries out Korea's first successful uterus transplant
- Resale tickets for League of Legends World Championship go up to 3 million won
- Dancers say Street Woman Fighter 2 made dance more approachable
- Surf's up: Enhypen enjoys the ride with 'Orange Blood'
- FSS issues advisories to fisheries cooperatives federation for W50b investment loss
- Incheon Airport passenger traffic to recover during Chuseok holiday
- 합의문도 없는 희한한 북·러 정상회담…결국 비즈니스 관계였나
- "KTX 꼭 타보고 싶다" 했던 김정은 "만족한 합의"…뭐길래
- [이번 주 리뷰]美 Fed 기준금리 동결…이재명 체포동의안 가결(18~23일)
- 야당 29명 반란, 이재명 방탄 뚫렸다
- 한동훈, 체포안 설명 8분 넘기자…“짧게 합시다” “왜 이리 시끄럽냐”
- S. Korea logs current account surplus for 4th month in August
- First lady meets with Korean women residing in Japan
- Samsung SDI, Stellantis to set up 2nd JV plant in Indiana
- [Herald Interview] Monte
- HD Hyundai Shipbuilding invests $47m in Estonian fuel cell for green maritime energy
- S. Korea warns of potential NK surprise attacks using Hamas tactics
- S. Korea keeping close tabs on reported repatriation of N.K. defectors from China: minister
- Sejong University ranks 8th among Korean peers in world university rankings for 3rd consecutive year
- Aespa to return with 4th EP ‘Drama’ next month
- [HIT Forum]Space forum sees opportunities beyond our 'pale blue dot'
- 강서구청장 12시 투표율 11.4%…직전 지선보다 2.9%p 낮아
- [HIT Forum] Sci
- Science minister welcomes HIT forum on space economy